Shiatsu techniques are a part of Shiatsu bodywork - a
of caring touch over 4,000 years old.
Shiatsu works by applying pressure to points along the body’s meridian
system. This helps the body return to physical wellness, relaxation, and balance.
It’s a wonderful
method of pain and stress reduction. Shiatsu bodywork provides not only a
rejuvenating experience but also a deeply therapeutic one.
- Influenced many therapies: chiropractic, polarity therapy
and massage therapy
- One of the oldest forms of
body work and massage therapy
- Shiatsu essentially means “Finger
- Works on the philosophy that
health needs to be cultivated and tended to in order to grow.
Like massage therapy, the benefits
of Shiatsu are many. Becoming a skilled Shiatsu practitioner comes from studying at a school. Using this effective bodywork method for self care and
personal wellbeing, especially physical wellness, can be experienced in moments.
Stress relief techniques for
pain and stress reduction
Try this basic self Shiatsu sequence but before your begin:
wash your hands.
be working on your leg, foot and head.
Situate your body to ensure you can sit and work comfortably. Work on one
leg and foot first then switch sides.
and focus on each moment as you do this. This time is for you to relax and feel
- Pre-assess yourself: How are you feeling? Assess
how your body feels on a 0 to 10 scale. 0
means you are relaxed. 10 means you aren't relaxed - you're stressed.
Here is how you do it:
a few deep-cleansing breaths
your ch’i energy not your muscle energy
your palm or thumbs/fingers.
- Press gently and firmly on each position holding for
7 seconds then releasing and Repeat each position 3 times.
- Use centerline of your lower leg as a guide
- Start just below your knee and end above your ankle
- Use your palms and palm down leg 3 times
- Use your thumbs. Apply pressure down leg 3 times
- From base of your sole to heel: Make a fist
hand. Use your knuckles and firmly rub
- At sole of foot by the base of your pad
- In straight line to your heel, finger pressure each
spot along line 3 times
- Finger pressure 3 times at base of pad only
- Hold your foot mindfully. Cup your hands around the top and bottom of the
arch of your foot. Gently hold for a
- Gently tap your entire head using your fingers tips.
Do this for 1 minute.
- Slowly massage your temples for 1 minute.
- Go out from your temple the width of your thumb and
press along the outline of your ear on the outside of your ear. You’ll feel some notches. Press these.
- Place one hand on your forehead and one hand behind
your neck. Hold your head mindfully for 3 minutes.
- Gently move hands away.
Give yourself 10 minutes to integrate. Notice what
Shiatsu techniques are one of many stress relaxation techniques
that help cultivate your physical wellness.
Improve your physical wellness and enrich your well-being. Shiatsu techniques help to cultivate your
whole body health.
care of you and choose stress relief techniques that work for you.
Go from Shiatsu Techniques to Physical Wellness page
Go to Help Yourself Stress Relief tips home page